Director, Digital Forensics and Incident Response
LocationChicago, IL; New York, NY; London, UK; Remote
About Breakwater SolutionsBreakwater helps mitigate risk and gain insight from sprawling information by combining technology automation and human expertise. Our expert consulting, software, and managed services address the challenges within information governance, disputes and investigations, regulatory compliance, privacy, and cybersecurity. Breakwater launched in 2020 with technology from IBM and private equity funding from JLL Partners. We are a global hyper-growth company. It is an exciting time to join us!
Job SummaryBreakwater digital forensics and incident response experts are skilled at interrogating a vast range of computer systems to quickly identify relevant intelligence and evidence including assessing a wide range of data to identify and capture relevant evidence accurately, defensibly, and cost-effectively. The Director, Digital Forensics and Incident Response (DFIR) will lead, execute, and assist in data preservation and digital investigations in complex cyber incident and litigation matters. Interact directly with clients for digital forensics and incident response, provide strategic and technical leadership, and have the expertise and ability to testify as a fact-based witness when required. Cultivate and maintain client relationships and source new opportunities through business development efforts. Travel to onsite locations with a team or independently to perform data collections as needed. Develop and mentor teams.
You will create practice frameworks, documentation and deliverable templates, and forensic lab protocols. Partner with colleagues and clients to plan and execute data preservation and forensic examination using the most appropriate and legally defensible solutions. Build, acquire, and manage forensics lab and toolkits.
Investigative analysis activities for a variety of digital devices, computers, storage media, servers, networks, and cloud-based services, including seizure and retention of mobile phones and handheld devices. Provide data restoration and data conversion to prepare data for processing and hosting. Deliver and support forensic examination of data with tools including Encase, FTK, Axiom, Blacklight, Cellebrite, and Nuix. Prepare expert reports and other expert witness documentation related to investigations following Digital Forensic good practice methodologies (ISO17025 standard and ACPO Principles of Digital Evidence) in all aspects of the forensic and eDiscovery workflow. Testify as a fact-based witness when required
Skills + Qualifications
- 15+ years of relevant consulting and / or industry experience including understanding of clients’ needs and desired outcomes in cybersecurity and risk management engagements.
- Deep knowledge of digital forensic tools, technology, and protocols related to the collection and management of electronically stored information (ESI) from a wide variety of data sources including computers, mobile devices, media storage devices, servers, networks, social media, and cloud-based services.
- Demonstrated working knowledge and understanding of evidence management
- Expert in the usage of forensic acquisition tools and working with various file formats
- Expert familiarity with rules of evidence, ACPO guidelines, ISO17025 and Chain of Custody
- Strong attention to detail and ability to document findings and effectively convey information to audiences at all levels within an organization
- Sound knowledge and expertise of common operating systems and applications and exhibits an aptitude for problem solving in a methodical manner consistent with forensic protocols
- Excellent understanding of computer networking in corporate environments
- Excellent client management skills with ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to travel globally as needed to meet business demands including short notice or weekend travel when necessary
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; experience in public speaking and/or thought leadership development a plus.
- Testifying experience highly valued but not required
Perks + Benefits
- Compensation – we offer market competitive salaries
- Generous Time Off – we provide competitive time off for you to enjoy life, rest, and recharge
- Health Benefits – we offer a variety of plan medical, dental, and vision options to best fit your needs
- Life + Disability Insurance – we provide plans to ensure you are supported in the most critical life events
- Perks + Programs – access to Retirement/Pension, Employee Assistance Program, Financial Health Advocacy Services, Legal Insurance, employee discounts, and more!
How to Apply
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Breakwater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals and in which all people processes are merit-based and applied without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic under federal, state or local law.
Unsolicited Resumes Not Accepted
Please note that as per our policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters were engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening. Any employment agency, person, or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that Breakwater will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person, or entity.